2) Son of a coal miner and school teacher
3) Started betting as a schoolboy
4) 1931 Graduated from Leeds University reading Mathematics
5) Love of horse racing and maths helped create his own Timeform handicapping system
6) He gave up being a school teacher to become a professional gambler
7) In the 1940s, he sold his tips under the pseudonym of the Temple Time Test
8) He was friends with bookmaker William Hill
9) His betting records show that from 1943 - 1974 he won £295,987 (about £5M in today's money)
10) After the second world war, Bull and Dick Whitford created Timeform in 1948
11) Bull headed the company until his death in 1989.
12) Timeform is now owned by Betfair Exchange
13) In 2012 Frankel received the highest ever rating
14) Phil Bull was a racehorse owner and breeder setting up Hollins Stud in Halifax in 1947.
15) He bred top class horses including Romulus & Eudaemon. In his own colours, he won with Sostenuto & Charicle.
16) By 1980 his stud fell by the way and he owned individual horses.
17) 1980 he was made Chairman of the Horseracing Advisory Council. (He lasted just 4 months)
18) One of his legacies is the Racing Post Trophy, formerly known as the Timeform Gold Cup established in 1961. He wasn't happy with the limited number of one-mile two-year-old races.
19) Three horses have won the Racing Post Trophy before winning the Epsom Derby: High Chaparral, Authorized and Camelot.